Saturday, October 20, 2012

A family thing... and the elusive magic pill

A family thing...
When I started this whole weight-loss thing, I was constantly fighting against eating the food that we bought for my husband.  He wasn't interested in giving up carbs and he liked eating freezer foods.  So my first 54 pounds were on my own.  This week, he agreed to start the diet with me.  Our house has been purged of carb-rich foods and my resolve is renewed.  I'm now at 57 pounds and 85 seems much more likely.

The elusive magic pill...
I've heard several excuses lately from friends who were interested in how I lost weight, but then tried to explain why they couldn't.  Here are some of my favorites:

1. Well, there isn't a clinic like yours in my area.  
I had a family member ask me if there was a clinic like mine close to her. I wanted to scream "NO, BUT YOU CAN STILL STOP EATING ALL OF THAT JUNK FOOD!"  The clinic is a small part of what I'm doing, but anyone can cut down on junk food and add water.  There is no magic pill--you can go to all of the doctors' offices you want to, but until you stop going through drive thrus and binging on carbs, you'll never lose an ounce.

2. I'm too busy.  I work full-time. 
If it's important to you, you'll make it happen.  If not, you'll find an excuse.  There are 168 hours in a week.  With 8 hours of sleep and 10 hours of work all seven days, you still have 42 hours left to plan a menu and go to the gym.

3. I've got kids.
Then what are you waiting for -- do you want them to have an obesity problem, too?  Go for a walk.  Go to the park.  Go play a game with your kids, OUTSIDE.

4. I can't afford it.
You already eat.  Just eat different things.  Walking is free.  

When people ask me how I've lost the weight, I usually say something about how my doctor found a 
hormonal issue and the weight "just fell off." But that's a bit of an exaggeration.  I rarely eat more than 900 calories a day.  I never eat bread.  I never eat sweets (except for that piece of lemon cake I had last week, yum!).  I drink a gallon of water a day.  I drink a ton of protein shakes.  I spend at least 2 hours and usually 5 hours at the gym every week.  It isn't easy.  It isn't all falling off.  Going to a clinic once a week isn't causing me to lose weight--it's keeping me accountable. When people decide it's time, they do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment