Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Transitions.... pizza is okay, now? really?

I've always heard that maintenance is harder than weight loss.  I guess we'll see.  The advice I've received so far has been pretty helpful:

Moderation in all things, sometimes even moderation.  This is the best advice yet (thanks, Britton!).  I have spent the past six months focused on really low calorie, low carb food choices and working my butt off (literally) at the gym.  I can't continue this pace.  But for the past month, I've been struggling to stay motivated -- I just want some oatmeal, for crying out loud!  I have to accept that and find my own sustainable pace.  

My initial success was due in large part to Medi Weight Loss Clinics.  Now that I'm no longer morbid, I've decided to stop spending the weekly office visit fee. I can't justify spending that much money out of pocket -- and my FSA is empty for the year.  I'm no longer morbidly obese, so I can do this myself.  I will do this myself.  And maybe I'll go back for occasional visits after the first of the year.

Don't lose sight of why you're doing this--or what you've already done.  In the past six and a half months, I've lost 56 pounds and 12 inches off my waist.  I went from size 22-24 to size 14.  I can hug family members without cringing.  I am comfortable in photos.  I can travel by air without feeling like the nasty, sweaty, fat lady that no one wants to sit next to.  I can buy clothes at normal stores.  I can go to the gym for longer than fifteen minutes.  I can fit in my desk chair at work.  I'm never going back.

Don't stop setting goals--you're never actually done. My goal was initially to lose weight - check! Now, my goal is to be healthy.  I begin training for a 5k on Thursday.  I'm doing Couch 2 5k and plan to be running 3 miles by the end of January (and hopefully I'll be even closer to my ultimate goal weight of 165). 

Let yourself eat. I've taught myself that carbs are bad.  I've grown accustomed to eating 800 calories per day.  Even though I know that these were short-term limitations, I'm mentally attached to them.  I've found that it's very difficult for me to allow myself to eat an extra piece of fruit or to have seconds on my veggies.  And it's almost impossible for me to eat a slice of pizza without a pinge of guilt.  I have to find the balance, but I also have to let myself eat.

Embrace your new, active life. I had to start exercising to lose the weight and now it's fun.  Six months ago, I thought runners were crazy.  Now, I'm ready to try it out for myself.  

Adapt your focus.  I discovered fairly quickly in my journey that variety is key.  Now, I have to keep that in mind.  I have to try new recipes, new flavors, new healthy options.  I can't fall back into my rut -- I can't do the drive-thru diet again.

Be ready to change your focus. This may not work.  I may need the accountability of a weekly clinic visit. I'll re-assess in January -- we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment