Sunday, February 15, 2015

Back to the Basics

One of the things I immediately loved about yoga is the personal focus. The lack of comparison. The lack of judgment. The lack of expectation. The lack of competition. After years of being pitted against others, I was so excited to focus on my own growth when I set out to complete 108 classes this year. 

At first, I had no expectations. I was just going to learn what I could and do what my body would do. I would admit my limits. I would be okay with being a beginner. A few days ago, I realized that I was slowly losing my personal focus. My practice had slowly become consumed with comparison, expectation, and competition. 

On Friday, I decided to return to my thing. I don't try every variation. I don't make myself do everything. I listen to where I am and I am enjoying the journey again.  I check my ego at the door now. I focus on celebrating my progress regardless of everyone else's. And it has already paid off--I flew my crow today. It's been a goal since Christmas Eve.

I flew my crow today. And it was all mine. And it was awesome, even among all of the cranes and handstands. It was mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment