January is almost over. After the adventures of last year, I promised myself this would be the year of health. I can happily say that I think I'm getting there. I had already come a long way last year after the surgeries, spinal taps, and 80-something visits to all of the different specialists I saw. I was leaps and bounds ahead of my worst chronic pain days on Christmas Eve, when I watched a few girls do crow pose after our class at the gym. I remember wondering if I could ever do that and became focused on the physical challenge. I walked into Pink Lotus on January 4th. Today, after weeks of encouragement from some of the most inspiring and selfless yoga teachers I know, some tips from some great new friends, and the comfort I feel in the amazing little studio I can now call home, I made it through all of the poses. And my crow flew for almost two whole seconds.
What I didn't expect from yoga was to learn so much beyond the physical poses--I never dreamed I'd learn this much about me. I have learned to be brave and try the harder classes. I've learned to be strong and hold out a little longer than I think I can. I have learned to be humble and take child's pose when my body has had enough. I've learned to celebrate the little moments, especially when I hit a new pose. And I've learned to let go. After so much time in physical pain, stressing over doctors visits and figuring out how to function as the doctors took their sweet time diagnosing me, I needed to learn to let go. To accept. To celebrate.
But quite possibly the biggest thing I needed was a home. Shortly after moving here, we were so busy finding medical help that we never found those "non-work" friends. I have that now. And it's a great feeling to know that I can #RetreattoPink whenever I need to. I love Pink.
No comments:
Post a Comment